Thursday, May 3, 2007

Day 7 - Clean Up Your Environment

Earth Day
OK. In the spirit of Clean up the Environment (Day 7) I have changed the environment of my blog - more youthful I think - more electric!

OK - My Weight Loss while trying to conceive forum has really taken off - the replies were over whelming! So many people tanked me for starting the thread and are going through similar situations to myself.

That said, I decided to read some posts today while eating lunch. Well I was about 95% of the way finished my lunch when I realised I had eaten almost all of it without even noticing! ARG! So... no more eating in front of the computer for me. If I have to eat at my desk I will turn the screen off and concentrate on eating my lunch or answering the phone (works out well since answering the phone is not conducive to chewing at the same time!) Once I realised I had eaten so much without noticing I sat back and tried to really enjoy the last couple of bites - making them last longer then the rest of the lunch!

I am committing to making response cards tonight for sitting while eating and eating mindfully.

Day 7: Clean Up Your Environment

This shouldn't be too painful for me. My Hubby is pretty conscious about a lot of what he eats - although he likes the odd fast food meal and lots of chocolate - we don't generally keep "bad" things in the house. What I do have make more of an effort at is keeping more fresh fruit in the house. Not too tough. Also, every morning I will make sure the kitchen table is free of clutter that way it will be more enjoyable to sit down at the table to enjoy a meal.

As for my work environment... that's a little tougher. I don't work in a place I can ask that things are kept in a cupboard ... Usually what happens is people bring things to you and are "food pushers" - so, I have brought a Tupperware container to work. I take the item -rather then having to go through the "no thank you." "Oh have one" "No really, it looks great, but no thanks" " Oh come on their so good, I made them myself, I didn't poison them..." blah blah I will say" Oh thanks!" and put it in my Tupperware. Then, I can either some of it eat it later, take it home to my hubby for a treat, or toss it. today at lunch I purchased 4 packages of sugar-free gum. If I am tempted to eat a pastry I will pop a piece in my mouth - that should take a way or at least delay the see it, smell, it, eat it cycle.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The tupperware idea ROCKS!! I have the same problem. Lots of very well meaning people (because it comes from a good place - the heart) love to feed me because I clearly look like I like to eat. And I do. But put it in a tupperware container and take it home to the husband is fantastic. I'll do that tomorrow. Thanks!!! I also find that if you share with people that you are working on a "diet" it becomes a challenge to see what they can get you to eat...so I have learned to keep my mouth shut. Don't tell anyone but the "chosen" few. So this tupperware thing....works very well with my philosophy of dieting.

heartsdesire said...

Thanks Laura - I am glad the tupperware idea will work for you too... My problem will be remembering to bring it back to work after I take it home!

You are right for some reason people like to sabotage other people - must be a "survival of the fittest" instinct or something!